Monday, November 5, 2012

Painting a bookcase

Whew! It's been a while since I last posted, and while I'm home, I've been in a kick of doing a bunch of crafts. One has been repainting a sad old white bookcase that we acquired as a castoff from our aunt and uncle who live nearby.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough foresight to take "before" and "after" pictures. But I decided to paint it red, with a string of flowers along the middle of the shelves. I'll put up several pictures--they should explain it by themselves. :-) It was a long process, but very fun and with a wonderful result!

I practiced on paper for several days, figuring out brush strokes and experimenting with a pattern I could repeat all the way across.

the pattern on the shelves

experimenting in the corners

thinking of something special for the middle on the top shelf

close-up of most of the pattern

the top



almost done! only the base left

all done! 

close-up of the bottom

Happily working away on the corners (you can see I just started on the bottom right corner.)


We moved the bookcase up into our living room this last weekend, and it adds so much color and beauty to the room! :-)

2 comments: