Unfortunately I didn't have enough foresight to take "before" and "after" pictures. But I decided to paint it red, with a string of flowers along the middle of the shelves. I'll put up several pictures--they should explain it by themselves. :-) It was a long process, but very fun and with a wonderful result!
I practiced on paper for several days, figuring out brush strokes and experimenting with a pattern I could repeat all the way across.
|the pattern on the shelves|
|experimenting in the corners|
|thinking of something special for the middle on the top shelf|
|close-up of most of the pattern|
|almost done! only the base left|
|close-up of the bottom|
We moved the bookcase up into our living room this last weekend, and it adds so much color and beauty to the room! :-)