Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ginger-Cinnamon Cookies

Last week, we had a friend over for dinner, and I thought I'd experiment in the kitchen with making a new kind of cookie. Since peanut butter and chocolate are my go-to flavors, I thought I'd branch out a little bit and use some of the ground ginger that I have tucked away among my spices. This time (unlike most times I experiment in the kitchen) I wrote down what I put in so I could try it again....and so can you! Since I made them, I have found my hand repeatedly (and of its own accord, mind you) going to the cookie jar. They're quick and easy and have that delicious gingery tang--you should try them and let me know what you think!

Ginger-Cinnamon Cookies
Set the oven to 350F

1/2 c butter (softened)
1/2 c brown sugar (packed down, a generous half cup)
1/3 c white sugar
2 large tsp ground ginger
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 "squirt" baking soda (probably about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp)
2 eggs
2 cups flour

In your mixing bowl, mix the butter and sugars together. Then add the ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda and mix again. Add the two eggs and mix. Lastly, add the 2 cups of flour and mix them in. (If it still seems too moist, add a little more flour--it would probably depend on the size of the eggs you use.) I found two cups to be just perfect.

Roll into small balls and put on a baking pan (I didn't bother to grease it and that worked just fine.) Then put them in the oven for 10-15 minutes--until they get just a little bit cracked on top. Or, you could test it with your finger, and if the cookie offers a little resistance, then you could probably take them out for a nice moist cookie. For something crunchy...look for a different recipe.

Oh! And don't forget your glass of milk. It's an absolute must with these--they're perfect for dunking.

No comments:

Post a Comment