Saturday, December 15, 2012

Chocolate and Cherry Puffs

Bachelors, this ones for you. The skill level and time commitment is low and the result is very impressive. This recipe is once again from Kathryn Hawkins amazing Chocolate! cookbook.

1 lb ready-made puff pastry
6 oz semisweet chocolate
cherry pie filling
1 egg, beaten

When a recipe only has 4 ingredients, you know it can't be too bad. Here are the instructions.

1. Preheat the overn to 400 degrees. On a lightly flours surface, roll out the pastry to approximately 16 in square. Cut out sixteen 4 in diameter circles. (I think mine were more like 3 inches--I used the largest rimmed glass I could find.)

2) Arrange eight circles on a large baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Divide the chocolate into 8 pieces (I used chocolate chips, so I just sprinkled some in the middle and didn't bother with the dividing or measuring.) and place in the center of each circle. Top each piece of pastry with 1 tbs of cherry pie filling. Brush the edges with beaten egg and cover with the remaining pastry circles. Seal the edges well.

3. Brush the tops with beaten egg. Bake for 20-25 minutes until puffed up and golden. Best served warm.


Paul and I rated this one a 6/10. But here's what I wrote down the day that I made them: Don't let the 6/10 rating fool you! These taste fantastic and are SO easy to make. (Paul gave it an 8). The reason I gave it a 6 was because of the cherry pie filling--to me it tasted hackneyed. I'd rate it much higher if there were a more exotic filling. I like the fruity flavor, but would prefer a different texture than pie filling, and probably something a little spicier (like with cinnamon.) With 1 lb. of puff pastry, I think we could make 12 pastries." 

and a couple days later... "Took these to the CHBC marriage workshop and a lady said that they were like poptarts! Which I guess they are..." 


So there you go. Basically homemade pop tarts. Easy, delicious, comfort food desserts. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment